N.C. Baptists ready to help Gustav victims (updated Sept. 5)
    September 2 2008 by BR staff

    North Carolina Baptists on Mission’s (NCBM) biggest feeding unit was scheduled to make more than 10,000 meals today (Sept. 5).

    According to information from Baptists on Missions released today, more than 30,000 meals are slated for Saturday.

    NCBM sent more than 40 volunteers this week to Houma, La., to help Hurricane Gustav victims.

    Also, 18 people from Houma are staying at the Red Springs work camp. They evacuated from Houma earlier this week.

    Along with a feeding unit, NCBM sent setup, administration, communications, chaplaincy, and recovery teams to help.

    Manna One, NCBM’s feeding unit, can provide as many as 30,000 meals a day.

    NCBM asked for prayer for the victims and the volunteers preparing to assist them.

    Additional equipment (generator, tanker, shower) was sent Sept. 3.

    Hurricane Gustav hit the Gulf Coast on Monday. Initial reports indicated that damage was not as bad as feared, but nearly 1.5 million people in Louisiana and Mississippi were without power. Crews were working to get power restored.

    Other volunteers and equipment are on stand-by in North Carolina ready to go where called, said Gaylon Moss, disaster relief director for Baptist Men.

    Moss said NCBM Disaster Relief is working with American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, and N.C. Emergency Management to monitor the situation here in North Carolina and elsewhere.

    NCBM also asks that people remember that Sept. 7 is the kick-off Sunday for the week of prayer associated with the North Carolina Missions Offering (NCMO).

    If you would like to give a designated gift for disaster relief (over and above your gifts to the NCMO), send your check payable to NCBM, P.O. Box 1107, Cary, NC27512 marked for disaster relief.

    9/2/2008 8:47:00 AM by BR staff | with 0 comments




Comments
Blog post currently doesn't have any comments.
Subscribe
 Security code